Seychelles Hospital History
Written by Editor on 8th June 2022
The first hospital constructed in Seychelles was a wooden building located in the center of the Capital Victoria (Etablissement Du Roi). It was constructed sometime in the 18th century, (after 1778) not far from what is now the old Bel Air Cemetery, up what is now called Revolution Avenue.
The Hospital was relocated to a different location near Mont Fleuri Road. A small hospital named the St. John of God Hospital which had been built in 1866 and stood on the slope where the National House is now located.
Seychelles Hospital is at its current location, further south along the Mont Fleuri Road (Hermitage), which was opened on Sunday, November 30, 1924. Today years later, the Seychelles Hospital has expanded, modernized, and is seen as the cradle of the island nation’s health.